Monday, April 18, 2011

Dies Irae

Found this gem while I was looking for a file I had just saved. Kind of crazy what sort of things a computer can just toss back into your life. I must have wrote this early in Fall Semester maybe? It's a fun little guy.

Would You Trade Your Brain?

I saw a boy
by the school
a textbook in his hand
a fire on the ground
I asked him why
he seemed so keen
to break the binding
rip the pages
sacrifice it to the flame.
He looked at me
with eyes so dull
and speech so sad
“I look to trade my brain
for a chance to be cool”
was not what was said
but what was heard
was what was understood
with pain.
I grabbed at his collar
and pulled him closer
sneered at his face,
he jeered at mine
silently, inwardly
but so notably.
“But your figure's so frail
inept to compete
with the trials of nature
around you.
And your perception so slim
as to pass by a being
inbound to harass you
attack you
dispatch you.
What would make you think
that your only advantage
keen mind
is something so cheap
to be burned in a pit
of paper, of glue, and of asphalt?”
The boy looked terrified
at the man in his face
as I glared back intently
desiring an answer
but none would come.
So I continued my progress
to turn this young boy.
“And would you trade
a kidney for a friend
maybe half of a liver
a lung on the side.”
The boy shook his head no
his eyes still intent
filled with life
and vitality
with no sense of the world
with no sense of regret.
“And I would guess your the sort
who is so self-involved
you'd be willing to trade
a thousand bad days
with lessons learned
for a single day
with no dilemma
no problems.
You would trade a thousand worlds
filled with creatures
so rare and beautiful
for a thousand companions
who will drift and sway
and stab your back.
But you don't know
you're just a child.”
I dropped the boy down
and stomped out his fire
left him cold and alone
in that desolate lot.
But I saw him again
a few years later
on a school day
tobacco in one hand
and a beer in the other.
So I asked him again
“Have you traded your brain
for a chance to be cool?”
A laugh was my answer
and all the I needed
for a final reprisal
a payback, an ending.
Some would say
before that day
he lacked a brain already.
I would say
I liberated a mind
imprisoned by day
confined.
The irony being
the great liberator
a book, a blunt hit to the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment